Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stretchy Suz

I've been struggling lately.

I like to think of myself as a woman who is quite comfortable in her skin. I know myself and, most of the time, like myself. I'm aware of the things that suck about me and no longer delude myself in thinking that I must please everyone. Wisdom comes with age.

So, why in the world am I getting stuck on something as shallow as stretch marks?? I know I'm not the only one who has them. I was never confident exposing my skin in the first place, so why do I care?

Maybe my stretch marks are a constant reminder of the fact that I'm not getting younger.  I look down and remember that I will never again experience the carefree, do-what-I-want-when-I-want existence of my youth.  I guess I can also kiss that bikini modeling career goodbye after all. Insert really loud snort here. More likely, it's about my insecurity, specifically my deep seeded fear that my husband will decide he doesn't like me anymore. Like my stretch marks will somehow chase him away. I know that's not going to happen.

It's time for a change in thought. The marks are here, and they're not going away. There's no use in lamenting over them, and I'm not a huge fan of feeling sorry for myself anyway.

So, last week I wondered, what will my stretch marks represent from now onward?

These marks represent something beautiful, the most amazing people to ever happen to me. They are not something to be ashamed of or disgusted by, but a reminder of how lucky I was to be able to grow two beautiful, incredible human beings.

I will choose for my stretch marks to represent patience as I watched my belly slowly (or not so slowly) grow in anticipation of meeting my children. 

I will choose for my stretch marks to represent health as they are a result of my children growing healthy and strong inside my womb.

What do your stretch marks mean to you?






2 comments:

  1. Yiu mean my "zebra stripes"? I don't mind the stretch marks that badly, because they remind me of my little one. However, I'm trying to lose the baby weight and I have a real fear of having stretched flabby skin that it almost makes me prefer to stay heavy. Crazy, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, I'm starting to realize I'll be in maternity clothes until my younger is in preschool. Love your blog name!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...